The Environmental Education for Resource Sustainability Trust
EERST was established in the year 2000. The Trust is a community based, not-for-profit organisation and a member of the Community Recycling Network (CRN) and the Sustainable Business Network (SBN) in New Zealand.
EERST aims to work with preschools, schools, businesses and communities to create a more sustainable future.
EERST believes that through education and action, communities can become more environmentally aware and live a more sustainable life.
EERST has worked with numerous councils, businesses and communities throughout the years including managing the highly successful Paper4trees programme.
Paper4trees is a school based environmental education programme, which has been operating since 2001 and is in thousands of schools and preschools throughout New Zealand.
EERST is currently looking into two other school-based programmes, Water4schools and Energy4schools.
EERST has been recognised for its contribution towards environmental education and has won numerous awards throughout the years, including:
- 2011 NZ Environmental Packaging Awards – Cadbury Community Education Programme
- 2011 NZ Environmental Packaging Awards – Supreme Award
- 2010 Green Ribbon – Community action for the environment (Ministry of the Environment)
- 2007 Seriously Sustainable Award (Tauranga Environment Centre)
- 2003 Runner up in Community Organisation of the Year (Zero Waste New Zealand Trust)
- 2003 School Incineration Removal (Environment BOP)
- 2002 Sustainable Management in Industry (Environment BOP)
- 2001 Community Education (Environment BOP)
- 2000 School Education (Environment BOP)